The Perils of Pusha T’s Drug Pushing

by on March 19, 2011

Posted in: Uncategorized

Pusha T has clearly been around the block. Clipse, his duo with Malice, permanently spit about moving kilos of both powder and green. In the single Wamp Wamp (What It Do) he raps about Ferraris, selling drugs, and how the art of hustlin’ seems to be recession proof with lines like: “Down to the watches, alligator strap / Six different timezones, I don’t set her back / 17 a brick, yeah, go and tell ’em that / I got the wamp wamp when I move it, it’s still damp” and “What’s under the couch? Probably freeze up Santa / Whatever it cost, baby, we got answers / Line outside full of Jo Jo Dancers / ‘We got it for cheap,’ That’s the re-up anthem.” The bravado of Clipse, and Pusha T in particular, is something that turned me off until recently. Being a group that is often the only mentioned member of the sub-genere labled “coke-rap” never encouraged me to delve into their catalogue very deeply.

Despite this, I was won over by Kanye West. Featured on the G.O.O.D. Friday track “Looking For Trouble” in addition to two tracks from My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy–“So Appalled” and notably “Runaway”–Pusha T is now a household name, if your family listens to good music. Malice and Pusha T are taking a break from Clipse for the moment, giving Malice time to write a book currently entitled Wretched, Pitiful, Poor, Blind & Naked. Pusha T has been busy durring this break. He recently signed to Kanye West’s record label and has two new singles out. Clearly he’s still rapping about his European rides and the copious amounts of powder he’s involved in.

Featuring improved production, clearly a product of his teamwork with Kanye, the singles showcase the raspy side of his flow, emphasizing the emotion in Pusha T’s life. He even goes as far to show his weaknesses in the new track “Alone In Vegas” with lines like, “Seems like I’m doomed to dealing with women who / Relationships with their fathers won’t allow them to bloom.” The two tracks don’t deviate much from his signature boasting, but that’s fine; it’s nice to hear a Pusha T that’s more in tune with his emotions, even if they do still involve the hardships of selling drugs by the kilo.

His new LP, entitled Fear Of God drops on March 21st. Stream and download the singles HERE.