Why have I only been listening to Phoebe Bridgers?

by on May 4, 2020

Posted in: Uncategorized

A couple months ago, my good friend Kate would not stop talking about Phoebe Bridgers. An indie/folk/rock-ish/really good musician from LA, Phoebe Bridgers was Kate’s favorite artist of the moment (and of all time, claims Kate). At the time, I was bouncing around listening to new kinds of music instead of my normal classic rock and ’70’s folk. So, over February break I asked Kate if she had any Phoebe Bridgers recommendations. She was ecstatic and quickly typed out a list of her favorite Phoebe Bridgers Songs. At first, only a couple songs really stuck with me. I added “Motion Sickness”, “Scott Street” and “Smoke Signals” from her debut album Stranger in the Alps to my current playlist. I’ve found sometimes it takes a few listens for new songs to sink in, so I made sure not to skip them when they came on.

I don’t remember exactly when, but it must have been around the start of Midd’s early spring break when I could not get enough of Phoebe Bridgers. I added all of her albums, singles, ep’s, and collab albums to my library. I was playing her whenever I was in the car, showering, brushing my teeth, or doing the dishes. Eventually, I was blasting her music so frequently that my mom would ask, “is this Phoebe?” when I started playing music.
So, if you are in need of something to do in your spare moments, I would check out Phoebe Bridgers. Her music tells stories and is full of emotion. Her lyrics and chord progressions are more complex than that of the modern pop song, which makes multiple listens interesting and necessary. Bridgers sound can be explosive and calming. I am very excited to see what she produces in the future and she will definitely be an artist I keep my eye on. Oh, and be prepared to hear her coming from the WRMC booth whenever I am next in there.

Her album Punisher drops on June 19th. My Phoebe Bridgers listen list is:
Georgia
Scott Street
Motion Sickness Funeral
You Missed My Heart
From boygenius Ketchum, ID Me & My Dog Souvenir
Singles/ Other Waiting Room Garden Song